Table Top Lettuce
Yes, you can grow lettuce right on top of the table or counter, as long as it’s in a sunny window, BABY lettuce that is.
What you will need:
- A shallow, wide container with holes in the bottom for water to drain. We used a berry container here.
- Another larger, shallow container or tray to catch the water underneath as it drains. (no holes in this one)
- Coffee filter or paper towel.
- Sterile potting mix or seed starting mix. Do not use garden soil.
- Package of lettuce seeds.
What to do:
- Place the coffee filter or paper towel in bottom of smaller container, covering the drainage holes.
- Fill the container with very moist potting mix, up to 1 inch from the top.
- Place the small container inside the larger one. Rough up the surface of the potting mix with a fork, forming nooks & crannies.
- Sprinkle the lettuce seeds all over the top of the potting mix.
- Cover with plastic wrap or in the case of our berry container, it comes with a top!
- Put in a warm spot, (not on the floor) in bright light but not sunlight until the seeds begin to sprout & show a little green, about 4-10 days. Don’t uncover & poke at them, be PATIENT.
- Uncover, and put in a sunny window.
- Every day or two, add a little room temp water to the larger container to “bottom water”. The potting mix will suck up the water & bring it to the seedlings roots at the top by what is called capillary action!
- After about a week, you can FEED them with a tea mixture or you can make from water & veggie scraps, and then strained. Water in bottom container.
- Harvest in about 2 weeks with clean scissors and use on sandwiches or in a salad. BABY lettuce is always sweet & tender!