Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Wild Bunny nest inside the garden fence!

When staking a tomato plant in the fenced garden (fenced with rabbit fencing), I heard a grumbling. Thinking I impaled a poor frog, I cleared the mulch & some soil to see, 3 baby bunnies!

The gate to the garden had been open 1 nite the previous week, so now what?

I have to keep the gate closed, everything is up & growing beautifully.  If I close it, will I keep Mom from nursing?
I decided to keep the gate closed & keep track on them to make sure they were being fed, they were too cute to kick them out.

So, I checked out bunny life online. Here'e some interesting facts:

Bunny nests may be found anywhere, even in the open. Mine was fortunately under a layer of leaf mulch, keeping them safe from hawks & snakes and high temps, it's been 80's here lately.

Mom's come to nurse in the middle of the nite for 5-10 minutes only a day! Milk is so rich that's all they need.

It's best to leave them alone & not try to rescue them, as wild rabbit rescue usually fails.

To check that they are getting fed, pinch the back of the neck. If the skin stands up like a tent, they are dehydrated and need help. Also, their tummies will be rounded and not sunken in.

Checking on them every day, they always seemed well fed. (don't know how Mom was getting in)They didn't mind me touching them when they still had their eyes closed, but once open, they would try to hop around when I touched them.

Today, 2 weeks later, they have left the nest. During their stay, Mom nor the babies ate any of my veggies except for a little nibbling on my peanut plants.

I wish them good luck & thank them for being such good garden guests!

No comments:

Post a Comment